Make a Complaint to the Privacy Commissioner

The National Education and Care Services Privacy Commissioner can investigate complaints from individuals about the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority (ACECQA) and State and Territory Education and Care Services Regulatory Authorities under the Commonwealth Privacy Act 1988. You can complain to the Commissioner if you believe ACECQA or a State or Territory Regulatory Authority has interfered with your privacy by breaching an Australian Privacy Principle in relation to your personal information. Personal information is any information that is about an individual and can reasonably identify that individual.

Complaints to the Commissioner must be made in writing. Your complaint should include:

  • the name of the agency you are complaining about – ie ACECQA or a State or Territory Regulatory Authority
  • a brief description of your privacy concern
  • any action the agency has taken to address the concern
  • copies of any relevant documents, including copies of your complaint to the agency, if any, and its response.

Note: Where there has been an alleged interference with the privacy of a number of individuals, one individual may make a complaint on behalf of the group. This is called a ‘representative complaint’. To make a representative complaint, the individual does not need the consent of the group members. For more information about making a representative complaint, you can call our office on (03) 9910 9868.

What happens to your complaint?

The Privacy Commissioner will assess the information you have provided and decide the appropriate next steps. We will then contact you.

Your personal information

If you have any questions about the personal information we collect and how we will handle your information, please contact our office or refer to our Privacy Policy.


Lodge your complaint to the Ombudsman in one of the following ways:

Completed downloaded forms can be emailed, mailed or delivered in person.

For initial discussion or for assistance you can contact the Office on (03) 9910 9868.